Friday, December 14, 2012

Review: Iron King


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Release: February 1, 2010
Source: Purchased 


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.



Let me preface this by saying Eileen of Singing and Reading the Rain convinced me to read this book. Her enthusiasm, and the overwhelming positive reviews, convinced me that I needed to read this series. ASAP.

With that said, the Iron King was an interesting read. It's full of action, twists, and turns! Meagan Chase has an ordinary life, although she's always felt different. Then her brother begins to act strange, and suddenly, she is thrust into a whole new world of Fey. The brother she knows has been taken and replaced by a changeling. She will stop at nothing to rescue him.

The things I love about the Iron Fey include the world, the action, and pace. So much goes on in this book! Never once did I lose interest, as I kept turning the pages to find out the truth behind her brother's disappearance. Were some of the twists cliched? Yes. But that's part of the fun in reading this book.

Now, I admire Meagan's devotion and dedication, but I found her character uninspired. Typical. Thankfully, there are other characters who make Meagan's journey a riot. Puck is hilarious and dependent and Ash is...aloof and intriguing. From reviews, I know there is a love triangle between the two guys. But honestly? I don't feel like I know either of them well enough to choose. Thankfully, this story doesn't focus on the romance, so okay with letting the romance slowly develop over four books. And my favorite character? It has to be Grimalkin, the ingenious cat. Oh, how I love him! 

Needless to say, I will be back for more. Thanks, Eileen, for introducing me to this series! 

RATING: 4 SLICES


2 comments:

  1. Grimalkin is by far my favorite character in this book! And believe me, Meghan is going to be a great character :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THIS REVIEW. HOW COULD I MISS THIS REVIEW?

    HOWWWWWW?!?!?!?!?!?

    BUT YES I LOVE ASH. LIKE, SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO MUCH. I WOULD DISOWN YOU IF YOU CHOSE PUCK. OKAY KIDDING, BUT SERIOUSLY. ASH IS SO AWESOME. AND AWW SORRY YOU FELT THAT WAY ABOUT MEGHAN. I WON'T SCREAM AT YOU SINCE I KNOW I BULLIED—I MEAN PERSUADED—NO I REALLY MEAN BULLIED–YOU INTO READING THEM.

    ANYWAY, AWESOME REVIW AS ALWAYS, SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN STOPPING BY, AND WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO TELL ME ABOUT THIS REVIEW?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    *composes self*

    I love Grim too. He's the best. And the world is SO amazingly vivid and beautiful and ermagawd I think I need to fan myself.

    ReplyDelete