Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone b Laini Taylor 
Release: September 27, 2011
Source: Purchased


Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. 

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low. 


And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 


Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.


When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


Left and right,  people have been singing the praises of Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

And it saddens me to say that I cannot join this massive choir. 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the story of a blue-haried girl named Karou. My first impression? This girl is pretty cool! She's an art student who is more than what she seems. Most people find her eccentric. Most people just smile at the wild stories she illustrates--stories that depict magical creatures and a shop run by Brimstone. His trade? Wishes. And the currency? Teeth?

What people don't know, though, is that these illustrated stories are real. 

Karou lives a double life. A part of her life is spent roaming the streets of Prague, drawing and trying to escape her crazy ex-boyfrend. The other part of her life is spent traveling through doors that transport her from one end of the world to the other. She collects teeth for Brimestone. Karou has no clue what the teeth are used for, only that they are used for pay for wishes. 

I will say this about Daughter of Smoke and Bone: it is impressively imaginative. The world of Prauge and Brimstone's shop is so vivid and magical! The book was off to a very good start with a unique protagonist, lyrical prose, and a world that managed to quickly suck me in. 

Then Akiva makes his appearance and drains the book of all its initial charm. 

Yes, this book is about star crossed lovers. Akiva is an angel and Karou is a human. I can handle this cliche, but I cannot handle the insta-love. Ladies and gentlemen, be aware before reading, that this book contains a guy and a girl who are "inexplicably drawn to each other" and call it love. Sometimes, insta-love can be forgiven if the chemistry between two characters is tangible, steamy, and even entertaining. Karou and Avkia's relationship is stale. To be fair, there is a reason behind the two being drawn to each other. It just does't present itself until the last third of the book.

Which leads me to another grip I had...

All the flashbacks. 

I understand the need for occasional flashbacks, but almost half of this book is filled with flashbacks that serve little purpose. I take that back. They do have a purpose, but the execution was poorly done because I felt as if it was merely used as a plot device. A very long and drawn out plot device...

I really wanted to love this book. I really did. Unfortunately, it fell short of my expectations. Laini does have quite a way with words and there's no doubt that she is gifted with imagination. For those reasons alone, I am willing to give the sequel a try. I'm just not jumping up and down for it, even after the CRAZY ending.


RATING: 2.5 SLICES 


9 comments:

  1. I was one of the people on the love side, but I do agree about the flashbacks. They totally drew away from the book and towards the end, they majorly confused me. I have no problems with insta-love, but I know some people do, so that is a potential drawback.The worldbuilding in this book was awesome though and it definitely drew a vivid picture in my mind. Overall though, I am excited to dive into Days of Blood and Starlight. Hopefully you enjoy it more than DoSaB. Great review!

    McKenna @ Young at Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the flashbacks were confusing at times! In the end, I understood what happened, but were all those flashback scenes necessary? I think not.

      Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Hi Luv, I just found your blog and love it!!

    I will be following! I will make sure I check out your sponsors or adds (if any) to show some luvin!

    I just completed this book.

    Hope your having a beautiful day!!!
    Muahhh: swBeautifulLife.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Oh my God I think that it was SO annoying sometimes! Because if you're going to have so many flashbacks, you should write the original story in present tense and all the flashbacks in past tense! Grrr *seethes* Great review, though! I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it too much :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUP! *fistbumps* I'm happy to find someone how understands my feelings towards this book. I REALLY wanted to love it but...yeah...I couldn't...

      Thanks so much for commenting, Eileen!

      Delete
  4. You read my mind exactly. The flashbacks and insta-love drove me nuts, and yet the choir doesn't seem to notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm so happy I'm not the only one disappointed by this book! I mean, I can buy into insta-love in some cases, if I find the couple worth rooting for. But Akiva and Karou had no spark and chemistry. At least, none I could see. *shrugs*

      Delete
  5. Ah! I was contemplating this one. *New Follower* and dude, u have like the SAME thoughts as me on most of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow (I followed back). And haha, glad to know that we have a lot of similar tastes! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your reviews!

      And thanks for commenting! If you ever do read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, let me know what you think! Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

      Delete