Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Storm


Storm by Brigid Kemmerer 
Release: April 24, 2012


Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

- - -
What can I say about Storm?

How about five HOT guys and one tough girl?

Yeah. Have I got your attention yet? Brigid Kemmerer's Storm is  a very unique read. It's the story of Becca who, after saving Christ Merrick from being beaten up, ends up entangled in a very intense struggle. Chris is no ordinary guy. Neither are his brothers. They are "Elementals", meaning they control the elements and Chris's element is water. But Elementals are considered dangerous to society and there are those out there who will stop and nothing to rid the world of them.

And from the opening fight, to the end, Storm is filled with action and suspense.

Everyone has praised the realistic interpretation of the brothers' relationship. I can only echo their compliments. There's Nick, the peacemaker. He controls wind. Then there's Gabriel. He's hot, snarky, and controls fire. These twins couldn't be more different form one another, but their connection is tangible. Then there is Chis, who controls water. He lacks control and is trying to find his place. Michael, the eldest, is more stiff, but it comes from struggling to care for his brothers. It's not easy to act as 'parent' to three brothers. At least, that's what I would assume.

Words can't express how much I LOVE these guys. Really, I don't know how Brigid managed to do it and I couldn't put the book down! If only my connection to Becca was just as strong...

But what about the fifth guy I talked about? That's Hunter. He's the new guy and full of mystery. I'll admit I fell for that mystery at first. I even found myself enjoying Becca with Hunter more than Becca with Chris. By the end, my opinion changed. And yes, you heard right. There's a love triangle, but it's actually very well done! Triangles like this aren't seen very often.  There are more important things at stake than who Becca would choose.

I have one qualm: that Becca kept the truth of her past with Drew (her ex-boyfriend) a secret from me. The reader. All we get is remnants of rumors. People in school think she's a "whore" because of a rumor Drew spread. But there is more to the story than that and I really hated having to find this out toward the end of the book. If Storm had been only from Chris' perspective, I wouldn't have thought much of it. Becca's a narrator, though, and she should have admitted to what happened to the reader. Even if she doesn't reveal it to anyone else. The only excuse I can make for her is that she was repressing that memory. And this is a normal response to trauma. I feel cheated, but not enough to diminish my love for the book.

The final verdict? Go get your copy of Storm NOW. You don't want to miss out on all the hotness!

RATING: 4.5 SLICES



And Congrats, KAYLA BECK, for winning the May 2012 release giveaway. HOORAY. I will be hosting another giveaway in a week or two, keep checking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment