Monday, April 9, 2012

Recommendation: Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Release: 1/3/2012



Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 


- - -
I admit it: I'm a sucker for fairytale retellings (in fact, my WIP is a semi-retelling/semi-original fantasy). So when I heard the premise of Cinder, I went--WHAT? A Cinderella Cyborg? How cool! And even after reading Cinder by Marrissa Meyer, I still think "how cool".

We all know the basic story of Cinderella, but you've never seen it like this. I found Cinder a refreshing and very relatable character, who is a far cry from the Disney film version. She's no pushover and she demands respect, despite society telling her that she's a ugly, unwanted cyborg. Cinder's hurt by the words, but more than that, she attempts to prove them wrong. She's smart, resourceful, and one heck of a mechanic. Yeah, Cinder is pretty awesome.

So what about the setting? It's futuristic and takes place in a country called New Bejing. I somehow picture a city that resembles the hovering cars and towering buildings in Star Wars. And yes, I said Star Wars. Don't judge me. New Bejing, though, is under quite an epidemic, and there is a frantic rush to find a cure. I won't spoil the who's and what's, but when you crack open the cover, you're in for one heck of a story. And the ending--MY what a cliffhanger. It made me hungry for the sequel, Scarlet.

I have only two issues that bring down my overall rating: I thought Kai was sweet, but not someone that stands out. He's average, I suppose, and this affects my impression of Cinder and Kai's relationship. Perhaps the second book will make him more appealing in my eyes? The second, and last issue, I have with the book is that the "big reveal"/plot twist was very predictable. I knew what it would be from page 55. Now, how it would be revealed and what would happen were all unknown, so being able to guess the plot twist didn't detract too much from the novel. It's still a point worth making.

Anyway, go out and get your copy today. I definitely recommend it!

RATING: 4 SLICES 



No comments:

Post a Comment